Meet Charmaine

00:50 Charmaine W 0 Comments


More often known as Char. I'm a flower child; lover of the wilderness, Parisian cobblestone streets, long conversations and old photographs. I believe communication and interaction between mankind makes the world go round (not to mention, love and money) and I, too, believe in long breathless laughter and the sort of warm, heavy yet somewhat relieving tears. I like telling stories of other people to other people. 

Born and raised in booming southern Malaysian suburban city of Johor Bahru, a place where I am proud to call home. I came to the bustling, hectic city of Subang Jaya to get a degree
and getting it, I am currently.

I'm an aspiring photojournalist who is currently into my first semester of getting a Communications and Media Studies degree from University of Wollongong, Australia and am doing it locally at the INTI Laureate Campus, Subang Jaya.

My soul feeds on the little things like making people laugh, capturing life into moving pixels, photographs and words, exchanging conversations with people of different backgrounds and coffee in the morning. I should also mention that I have a serious case of wanderlust and a thing for maps.

First impression on Nay was definitely a good one. English-speaking Malaysian Chinese girl who hangs out with 2 Malay friends and a Punjabi and reads Seventeen? I thought Wow, this girl is practically like me! haha It was my first day at Math tuition and being the new girl and not to mention, the earliest to arrive, I just took any seat I first laid my eyes on. I guess I was trying to not look like a douche by walking around finding the 'best' seat in class. People started coming in and Naomi came up and sat beside me. Little did I know, I was actually in her friend's seat and I was in between two best friends. Great. It was awkwardness overload, nonetheless. After that class, I transferred to another tuition timing and never really saw her again until we were in sixth form.

We chatted online for a while about having to do our Form 6 in SIGS, 'cause at the time, I got the offer to do it in English College but I really wanted to get into SIGS instead. So, I transferred there after three days of orientation in EC and despite not seeing each other for around two years, it wasn't awkward at all when I met up with her at the school gate. We talked casually as if those two years didn't happen while we were walking to the hall and that was when I met Gup! 

I knew of Gup's existence before I started sixth form, 'cause our mums are Bahasa teachers and her mum was blowing SIGS' trumpet when my mum told her I was doing Form 6 as well. So, when I finally met Gup for the first time at the concourse area at school, my first impression on Gup was "Soooo, this towering girl is who my mum was talking about". Punjabi, tall, skinny, bespectacled and baju-kurung-clad, I remember asking Nay whether she was the really smart stuck-up type. I'm laughing at myself now whilst I type this. After getting to know her a little bit better and realising that we have so much in common, we were basically finishing each other's sentences like destined lovebirds...okay, maybe not destined lovebirds. You get the flow lol

I grew up with a kind of non-contagious eczema called Atopic Dermatitis which is why I can't live without any sort of moisturiser. Directioner, Team Edward and a Lovatic. My ultimate pet peeve would be people who talk during an event/talk when they're supposed to be listening. And I'm terrified of cats, dogs and basically all species of animals. 

optimist, down-to-earth, enthusiast.

I tweet. I instagram. I pin. I take pictures. I make videos. and most of all, I write.


xx

0 comments: