Faculty of Caffeine, Johor Bahru

06:48 Charmaine W 5 Comments


Hey, lovelies!
     Three of us finally got to meet up for the first time after about two months of an unnecessarily-dragged-out first semester exams. It was nice to finally goof around with my girls, since my exams were over on the first week of December, when their exams were just nearing. Anyway, we hung out at this brand new cleverly-named hipster coffee place, Faculty of Caffeine which is along Jalan Trus in town. The location of this new joint isn't difficult at all to find, as it stands out like a sore thumb along Jalan Trus with it's classic matte black exterior. A start contrast from the pastel-painted shoplots on the same row, so don't worry, it's hard to miss! 

     The interior isn't too claustrophobic, considering it was revamped from a quaint little 16th century town shophouse to this nouveau hipster cafe with a catchy relatable name. Founded by a medical student and an interior designer, two young coffee-enthusiast friends, who finds inspiration in art, design, food and daily fixes of coffee. With the name, Faculty of Caffeine, I was actually really happy that I didn't see a chalkboard on a wall and that the decor didn't scream 'FACULTY' in my face 'cause please, I don't want to be reminded of school when I came for coffee talk with my girls, do I? haha I'd describe the interior design of the place very subtle and versatile, with a few cleverly-chosen themed hints here and there. The Snellen Eye Chart lighting caught my eye the most, and the few acrylic-on-wood paintings on the walls, which I then found out that they painted them themselves! 


     Aside from the chilled-out and artsy atmosphere, I particularly like the classic selection of coffee and some special brews of their own. One of which is called Fine Tune, which was what I had twice in a week. Yup, I'm a fan! There are also some nice teas and chocolate drinks to cater to you non-coffee-drinkers. If you're a breakfast/brunch kind of person, you will absolutely love the array of sandwiches and gourmet breakfast they have here! I personally recommend their Generous Breakfast, as well, they aren't lying when they named it the Generous Breakfast. Gup got the garlicky bread topped with cheese and mushroom on the side, and I think the garlic spread was a little too overwhelming. She did let the owner know though, so hopefully they toned down on their generosity on that part. Haha Nay tried their Caesar Salad since she wasn't too hungry and overall, she liked it. Would have truly enjoyed it more if they added chicken strips and perhaps, one less shake of salt?


     This faculty opens every single day from 11am to 10am, 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays. So, go get your coffee fix at this joint soon! Oh and the most important thing you might wanna know is that for parking your Porche, what you might wanna do is park it in Plaza Seni for RM3.00 per entry and save on going round JB town over and over to find that one parking lot. So, if you want to save on that RM3.00, make sure you're wearing your lucky red underwear that day! haha


Faculty of Caffeine
106, Jalan Trus
80000 Johor Bahru
opposite Galleria (Kotaraya), next to Plaza Seni


5 comments:

  1. I just got back from a short trip to JB and yes my friend bring me to this super chill joint and i really enjoyed it till we dont even realize that we sat there till like past their closing time. Haha. But whatever it is this place is the hook up for those caffeine ethusiast. Peace .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. INDEEED! Glad you enjoyed your trip to JB :) Come back soon!

      Delete
  2. How to get here from woodlands checkpoint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From JB Central, enter City Square mall. Head to the Ground Floor and exit at the entrance in between MANGO and a magazine store. Cross the busy Jalan Wong Ah Fook and enter this orange three-storey building called Plaza Seni. Exit Plaza Seni (the other side) to Jalan Trus and Faculty of Caffeine is the first shop on your right. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a frequent patron of FOC as its just walking distance from my office. Its laid back ambience is something you don't quite get at other coffee joints
    Agree with reviewer - generous breakfast is excellent.
    Overall : 7.5/10.

    ReplyDelete